Sunday, February 11, 2007

What to Eat during a Near-Death Experience

The last day I had as a 23-year-old, I attempted a summit climb of New Plymouth's volcano, Mt. Taranaki. It's important to prepare for a big climb. But I did not. I haven't hiked anything in about a decade. I got lost in a cloud, fell down a cliff, lost my hat (found it again!), and fell asleep with drool on my face in a public place. I DID, however, pack an excellent lunch. Hurrah for being raised in the Midwest, where everything is FLAT.

WHAT TO EAT if you're going to be UNDERPREPARED in EVERY OTHER REGARD on a CLIMB:
1 generous helping of pasta, loaded with seasonal veggies, a portion of cheese, olive oil&lightly salted
2 apples
1 spare sandwich of spinach, tomato and cheddar
1 helping cashews from your thoughtful sister as a birthday gift
1 handy chocolate bar
1/2 handful of butterscotch candies to give away to fellow hikers so they don't forget you if and when you get lost



In all regards besides the cumulative 20minutes where I was sure I was a goner, the mountain was beautiful. More beautiful, however, is the sensation of eating a proper dose of carbohydrates when throughly exhuasted halfway up a steep and ashy landscape, overlooking the sea and sky, and feeling your blood rush with sudden energy as your body digests a proper lunch. Mm'm mmm good!